Thursday, November 20, 2008

The Only Road To Intimacy

Talking. Talking is the only road to intimacy. Now, it's not the only way to get there. I like walking on the soft side of the road. I like peeling off into the brush where no one has ever set foot before. The road is flat and harsh and tedious. You'll step on pebbles and potholes and worse. Some wordless shortcuts are fantastically useful and endlessly enjoyable.

You can get to intimacy in many directions, along many different media. You don't have to use the road. The thing about a road is, you always can.

And when the road is closed, there's a very definite limit to how far you can get through. People who never learn how to talk to each other, especially how to get through when emotions are hot, can enjoy only limited intimacy.

2 comments:

Mary said...

Even when you stick to the road, there are always interesting detours.

Thanks for visiting my blog. I love the random song. I think I'm going to upload it so that it plays when people visit the blog.

Bob Stein said...

Kindly said, @Mary. Here's hoping you return from your detour and write more words into the wind.